Well, what do I say? Where do I start? I have always been yo-yoing my weight! I lose it only to find it back! You think I am joking but I am very serious when I say that I gain weight even if I smell McDonald’s! I kid you not! I am a foodie so diets and giving up food is not my cup of tea (I anyways do not drink tea! LOL!). I am now making some lifestyle changes, just to be fitter and healthier in general.
For about 2 months now I have been regular with my workouts, working out 4-5 days a week, but the key I have noticed is, not overdoing it. I tend to do about ½ hour of cardio followed by some weights. Over the weekends the hubby and I go for walks at one of the many beautiful parks that Houston has to offer and now that the summer is around the corner, we can’t wait to go swim! Let me put this disclaimer out there: I am a beginner, and surely do not claim to be an expert! Infact, I have a lot to learn myself… All I am aiming to do via this post is share some of the tips and tricks that have been working for me, hope they help you too!
- Do not postpone your workout – In my opinion, try to get it out of the way earlier in the day since you are more likely to procrastinate as the day progresses. Your body gets tired and your mind gets occupied in other activities so don’t wait till the end of the day to get your workout in.
- Find a routine that works for you – I believe there is no right or wrong when it comes to how you want to workout. You could work out before heading to work/school, during your lunch break, once you are back from work/school or if you stay at home, then once you send the hubby to work and kids to school, go ahead and get your workout in. Trust me you will feel wonderful starting your day in a productive way! If you have kids at home, then find sometime while they nap to get your workout in for the day. There are many fitness videos available on YouTube and other websites which make it easier to workout at home if going to the gym is not possible. Coment below if you want some youtube links.
- Join/Start a fitness group – A very dear friend of mine took the initiative to start a WhatsApp fitness group where we are now 15 girls from all over the world. We share links and ideas to make our workouts easier and more fun. We also share challenges like smoothie challenge, 21 day arm workout challenge, squat challenge etc. Every day we update our workout for the day and this group really motivates me! I like getting the kudos and pat on my back for a good workout day, and on days where I am feeling blah, seeing other’s updates motivates me and pushes me to get going. If any of you are interested in joining, let me know, it’s always good to have more fitness buddies!!
- Start slow and build your pace – Remember the hare and tortoise story? There is truth in that – slow and steady wins the race. What this means is that it is better to increase your workouts gradually as your body builds stamina rather than pushing it too much in the beginning, and then having aches and pains and being unable to workout for the next 3 days!
- Involve your partner – this works wonders! It’s like spending time together in a healthy way. Me and the hubby usually try to squeeze in walks in the park, outdoor sports or even biking over the weekends to stay active all while being together. You do not have to suffer alone, bring your partner along!!
- Make it count – Buy a stationary bike, or a treadmill, or even an elliptical machine and hop on it while watching your favorite movie or TV show and before you even realize it, you have done atleast 30 mins of cardio!! Win-Win is you ask me!
- Make it count part 2 – When you are out grocery shopping or on that trip to the mall, do not park right by the entrance. Park a little away to get those extra steps in. And while you are shopping, set a pace and walk in to the stores where you won’t usually or in the aisles where you do not have to pick anything. While I do not guarantee this exercise being good for your wallet, the extra steps taken will definitely be good for you, and who knows, maybe you find something worth the while!
- Set achievable goals – think about what you want to achieve in the long term and then break them down into smaller more doable and achievable goals, which you can work towards achieving in a more timely fashion. For example, instead of wanting to lose 30 pounds in 6 months, make your goal to lose around 5 pounds in a month. This keeps you in check monthly as well as motivates you when you see those pounds have been shed!
- Outdoor workouts – I love love love spending time outdoors, so on days where I do not want to go to the gym, I head to the nearby park either for a bike ride or a walk. Sometimes even though I have been to the gym, I will step out for a walk in the evening to relax myself all while getting in some extra exercise. I am eagerly waiting for the summer so I can go swimming, have fun in the sun all while getting my workout in.
- Last but not the least, remember:
So whatever you do, carry on, do not get disheartened… That’s the key to a healthier lifestyle!!
Do share with me what motivates you to workout towards a healthier lifestyle, I surely could use some tips 🙂