Dal Makhani is a Punjabi delicacy, one that the hubby always orders at an Indian Restaurant.
Off late since we’ve been trying to be healthy about our choices and eating more at home, I decided to give this much loved Dal of the hubby, a try, and after a few tries, got it perfect, atleast from the hubby’s standards and that in itself makes me happy! So I thought of sharing my happiness with y’all and hence here is the recipe that works wonders for me every single time!
1 cup whole black urad daal
2tbsp Red kidney beans
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2-3 green chilies finely chopped
1 cup chopped coriander leaves for garnish
1/2 cup whole milk (healthier than using fresh stirred cream)
2tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp oil
1tsp cumin seeds
1/2tsp turmeric powder
1/2tsp Garam masala
Pinch of red chili powder
1 tbsp dhania powder
Salt to taste
How to make dal makhani :
• Soak rajma and dal together in the same container, in water overnight.
• Add water & little salt and pressure-cook Rajma and urad dal till soft (usually about 30-45 minutes).
• Now in kadhai heat ghee and oil, splutter cumin seeds, add ginger garlic paste and fry till it is light brown. Now add the onions and fry till golden brown.
• Once onions are done, add green chilies and tomatoes and fry till tomatoes soften.
• Now add all the dry masalas and fry again till well mixed in together.
• Add the dal and rajma, and stir on medium flame and add in the milk. As soon as it starts boiling, cover and cook on slow flow for 15 mins.
• Garnish your dal makhani with coriander and it’s ready to serve!!
It goes well with Naan, rice and just about anything if you ask the hubby!! Haha!!
If you try this recipe, do let me know how you liked it in the comments below!
Until next time… Keep cooking up good stuff!