One good thing that COVID has done is give us all a lot of times on our hands – time with family, time to clean and organize, time to cook and also time to unwind and relax!
I for one have been enjoying the extra time to try our recipes which otherwise seemed too time consuming, and it turns out, they are not always that way! Some recipes are quite simple if you read ahead and know what goes into making a dish, and this chilli paneer was just like that!
I read multiple sites for recipes and then combine and mix-match to make my own version of a dish, which sometimes fails too, and those I obviously don’t share with y’all. Being real in this post just so you know that it’s not like I have it all together all the time either! LOL!!
So here’s how you can make Chilli Paneer (dry) so read on:
FOR FRYING (Coating the Paneer):
• ¼ cup corn flour
• 2 tbsp maida / plain flour
• 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
• ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
• ¼ tsp pepper powder
• ½ tsp salt
• ¼ cup water
• 12 cubes paneer / cottage cheese
• oil, for frying
FOR THE SAUCE (relatively less, as its dry recipe):
• 2 tbsp oil
• 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1 chilli, slit
• 4 tbsp spring onion, chopped
• ½ onion, petals
• ½ capsicum, sliced
• 1 tsp chilli sauce
• 2 tbsp tomato saue
• 2 tbsp vinegar
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• ¼ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
• ¼ tsp pepper powder
• ¼ tsp salt
• 1 tsp corn flour
• 2 tbsp water
• Firstly, in a small bowl take ¼ cup corn flour and 2 tbsp maida.
• Now to that add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, ½ tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp pepper powder and ½ tsp salt.
• Form a smooth lump free batter adding ¼ cup water.
• In this, dip 12 cubes paneer and coat uniformly.
• Once oil is hot, deep fry making sure the flame is on medium.
• We want to stir occasionally so that the paneer cubes turn golden brown and crisp, evenly
• Once done, drain off the fried paneer and keep aside.
• Take a large kadai and heat 2 tbsp oil and saute 2 clove garlic, 1 chilli and 2 tbsp spring onion.
• Now saute ½ onion and ½ capsicum on high flame for a minute.
• To this add 1 tsp chilli sauce, 2 tbsp tomato sauce, 2 tbsp vinegar and 2 tbsp soy sauce.
• Now add ¼ tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp pepper powder and ¼ tsp salt.
• Stir fry until the sauce is combined well.
• Now let’s prepare the corn flour slurry by mixing 1 tsp corn flour in 2 tbsp water.
• We will not pour the cornflour slurry into the wok and mix continuously.
• Continue to stir fry until the sauce turns glossy and thickens.
• Now add in fried paneer and 2 tbsp spring onion. mix well.
• Tada!! Enjoy chilly paneer with Fried Rice or Hakka Noodles, recipe for both is already on my blog!!
Until next time, Happy Cooking!!