Disclaimer: Even before I start discussing today’s post, I just want to say that it is in no way meant to be offensive to anyone!! So please don’t be mad at me 😝🙈🙃
So with that out of the way, let me start today’s post by saying I “used” be a Facebook addict!! I say I “used to be” because I no longer am. And I have my reasons for it.
I joined Facebook when it first came out way back in 2005 and I absolutely loved the platform. Being away from family and friends back home in India and Kuwait, it was the perfect way to keep in touch with everyone while not being able to physically meet up. I have virtually attended many events via pix shared and seen many of my cousin’s babies grow up etc. and while all of that was fun and games initially, Facebook decide to keep on “evolving” and creating a havoc.
Now don’t get me wrong. I obviously have no problem with the whole what goes up on the internet, stays there forever phenomenon, rather I have issues with the stupid and sponsored ads that eat up my news feed, the annoying Candy Crush requests amongst others, just to name a few. And I am sure you all agree… Yes, you do!
As life has progressed, I am no longer in the mood to entertain billion acquaintances I have (ok not billion, more like 1850, that was the count of my friends before I went on a delete spree) and I have my reasons for it.
I know there is this whole “unfollow” option now and while I am currently using it on some folks I cannot delete, I really believe that if I am going to “unfollow” you, that means I am not interested in your life, then why should I provide you a window into mine??
1. The “popular people” from school / university that you wanted to be friends with or in case you were the popular one, those people who wanted to be your friends!!
2. Friend’s exes!!
3. People who send me candy crush requests and never a meaningful message!!
4. Who are you?? If I didn’t immediately recognize you, why are we friends again??
5. People I just don’t like – be honest to yourself, if you dislike someone, do you really want to be friends with them??
6. People whose request I couldn’t refuse at that time… But now I can!
7. People who I met at a party and thought we were my new besties… Let’s just say they weren’t!!
So are you going to go ahead and do a Facebook cleanse? I’d like to hear…