Some dishes are soul food! Along with being extremely delicious, these items that qualify as soul food, have a very comforting feeling and never fail to remind you on home and your Ma ke haath ka khana aka Mom’s cooking. And Rajma is one such dish for the hubby and I.
Rajma or Red Kidney Beans have a lot of nutritional value as well, being high in protein amongst other nutrients.
So without further ado, here’s how to make this absolutely yummy dish –
– 2 cups of Rajma, soaked overnight, or a minimum of 8 hours.
– 2 cloves
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 1 bay leaf
– 1 big cardamom
– A couple of whole black pepper
– 1 tablespoon oil
– 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
– 11/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 1 teaspoon garam masala
– 2 tablespoons Rajma masala
– 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
– 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
– 1 cup chopped tomatoes
– Salt to taste
How To Make:
– Wash and soak rajma overnight or for at least for 8 hours. (Kidney beans will get double in size after soaking).
– Pressure cook the soaked rajma in about 3 cups of water in pressure cooker until rajma is soft and tender. Reserve the stock it can be used later to the gravy.
– Heat oil in a pan, fry cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaf for a minute. Then add chopped onions. Saute it till the onions turn golden brown.
– Add ginger garlic paste. Fry till golden and cooked. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and saute it till tomatoes become soft.
– Add boiled rajma to it with salt and the rajma stock. In case you feel the gravy is less, you can add some water. Cover it and let it simmer it for atleast 20-30 minutes. 1 hour for best results. When the rajma gets nicely blended with the curry sprinkle some chopped coriander and move to a serving dish.
– Garnish it with few coriander leaves and serve with hot rice. Enjoy!!!