Hakka Noodles is an Indo-Chinese preparation also commonly called Chow Mein, this consists of stir fry noodles with a variety of vegetables and if desired you can add egg to it. The recipe I am sharing today is closer to home cooked flavors than the restaurant taste and is a quick and easy recipe to make at home in matter of minutes. A bonus is that it is a hit with kids!!
Hakka noodles is a delicious and very flavorful dish most popular with street vendors in India. In my books the Hakka Noodles you get to eat at Juhu Beach, Mumbai is one of the best in the world!! And here in US, the Chow Mein you get in Panda Express is super yummy too 🙂 Today, I am sharing my recipe of Hakka Noodles and hoping you all will try it out and enjoy it too!!
- 1 packet of Hakka Noodles or if not available, you can use Angel Hair or Linguine Pasta
- 3 to 4 medium spring onions, finely chopped, keep a few greens for garnishing
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup tri-colored bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup canned corn
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or add as required per taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or add as required per taste
- Chilly sauce / Tomato ketchup as desired
- ½ tablespoon oil for coating the noodles
- 2 tablespoon oil for stir frying
- Salt and Pepper as required per taste
- Cook the noodles/pasta as per the instructions on the box.
- Once noodles are cooked, run them under cold water and put a few drops of oil and gently mix (helps them not stick) and keep aside.
- While the noodles are still cooking, on the side, rinse, chop and prepare all the veggies you want to use. In case of canned vegetables, wash beforehand and for frozen vegetables, thaw them by soaking in hot water prior to cooking.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai or even a non-stick pan would do.
- On medium heat add the finely chopped spring onions, bell peppers, corn and cabbage. Increase the flame and stir fry for 3-5 minutes, till the veggies start getting slightly browned from the edges.
- Add soy sauce and vinegar and stir.
- Add the noodles and toss it well and stir fry for a minute on high heat.
- Season with salt and pepper as per taste and continue to toss and cook the noodles on a high flame for a minute.
- Add a little bit of chilly sauce / tomato ketchup as desired.
- Garnish with the remaining chopped spring onion greens and serve hot!!