This is the first step and can be divided into three types:
- Makeup removers
- Cream cleansers
- Face wash
There are many good cleansers available in stores, so choose one that suits your skin type the best.
The first step in skin care routine is cleansing and it helps remove dirt and impurities from the skin. Avoid using soap since it dries out the skin. A good makeup remover should be light on the skin and preferably be oil-free. A good face wash is one which can be used on a daily basis and does not dry out the skin. Do not, I repeat, do not sleep with your makeup, no matter what, as makeup clogs the skin pores and is super bad for your skin’s health. Here are the steps on how to cleanse correctly:
- Make sure your hands are clean before starting. Now, wet your face and neck very well.
- If using face wash, take the face wash on your palms – remember to not rub your palms too much, as you may use the product on your palm and only have lather with no property remaining by the time you apply it to your face. Do not rub your face too much either, be gentle. If you are using make-up remover or cream cleanser then apply on face and wipe off before washing the face.
- Wash off the product completely and then splash some cold water on your face to close the pores. Wipe/pat dry with a soft clean towel.
I am guilty of skipping this step!! Off late I am trying to be more mindful and tone my skin. The benefit of this step is that if any dirt that is still left after cleansing, can be removed by toning while helping to maintain the ph balance of skin and minimizing pores. Here are the steps on how to tone correctly:
- On a clean cotton pad/ball, take toner and gently wipe your face. There is really nothing much to it 😉
Lastly, do not forget to moisturize your skin. After cleansing and toning, the skin looses its moisture and hence this step is super important. Use a product which provides moisture to your skin and prevents it from getting dry. Whether your skin is oily, dry, combination or normal, do not skip this step, instead use a product that suits your skin type. Here are the steps on how to moisturize correctly:
- Do not take the product on your palms and rub it in. Instead put small spots all over the face and gently rub it in.
- Treat your skin gently, use finger tips and be gentle on your skin.
This step comes after cleansing and before toning, and should be done not more than twice a week at max. Here are the steps on how exfoliate correctly:
- Wet a clean washcloth or rag under hot water and place it on your face for one to two minutes to open your pores (this is easy way to steam your face).
- Use your finger and put the product by gently rubbing it on your face in circular motions, over your entire face to get rid of all dead skin. Continue to do this until you feel you have exfoliated every inch of skin on your face and neck.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water but once done, splash your face with cold water to close the pores.
- After you have removed all of the product from your face gently pat dry your face with a clean towel.
Voila! You are done!! How did that feel? Well, who doesn’t want to keep their skin healthy and younger looking as long as possible? So what are you waiting for? Incorporate these steps in your daily skin care routine and enjoy your radiant glow!! Hoping this post helped 🙂