Tomato Basil is popularly used in Italian dishes – soups, pasta sauce etc. but I decided to try using it in an Indian dish jus to see how it turned out. A few google searches and combining a couple of recipes, I created this magic!
This dish is definitely on the sweeter side, so adding the red chilly flakes helps out balance that.
- 4 medium tomatoes blanched and peeled
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 big bay leaf, 1 big cinnamon stick, 1 big cardamom, 1 star anise and 1 big dried red chilly
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves
- I pack of Nanak Paneer (cottage cheese) soaked in warm water to soften, and then cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 cup canned tomato puree
- Salt to taste
- Crushed black peppercorns to taste
- 2 tablespoons red chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh cream or for healthier option use milk – full fat or 2%
1) Dice the onions, chop tomatoes and put in a blender jar. Blend tomatoes into a smooth puree.
2) Heat oil in a non stick pan, add the whole masale and ginger-garlic paste and sauté for ½ minute. Add diced onions and sauté till lightly browned.
3) Add freshly pureed tomatoes and canned tomato puree and mix well.
4) Add salt and crushed black peppercorns and mix well.
5) Add paneer and mix well.
6) Break the basil leaves by hand or cut/chop them. Breaking them keeps the taste intact.
7) Add red chilli flakes, basil leaves and cream. Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
Your dish is now ready, serve hot with Naan / Roti or Rice and Enjoy!!
We had it with Garlic Naan and Rice.
Let me know how it turned it 🙂
Until next time, enjoy yummy food!!