Hey y’all… Is it just me or do you guys feel like this week has been dragging?! I mean it’s only Thursday!!! Say what?! I am soooo ready for the weekend and our plan is to just chill and relax 🙂
So coming back to this post. If you guys follow me on SnapChat (nshrivas) or Instagram (nshrivas), you know that we recently moved.
Moving is quite a task so in my opinion start planning/packing early! Start by packing atleast a month in advance so as to be able to pace it out and not over-exert and tire yourself out, you will have enough of that closer to the moving day!
In this post I am sharing some tips and tricks which helped us make our moving process easier and a little less stressful, so read on…
– Start with the non-essentials: Since you are going to start packing a month in advance, save the functional “must-have” items to pack for the very end.
– Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
– Use only small boxes for books. They get very heavy, very fast.
– Pack important and sentimental documents separately to be easily accessible including: children’s health records, passports, family records, insurance information and photo albums.
– Never use duct tape – use packing tape.
– Clearly label all boxes on top and side. Number them as well, and having a running list of boxes and their contents makes it easier for you to locate things as well as makes it easier to unpack necessities first.
– Try to pack all electronic equipment, like stereos in their original boxes. Otherwise use bubble wrap when packing these items.
– Always tape boxes. Don’t interlock the tops and don’t use boxes without tops. Missing tops make it impossible to stack properly in the truck and also open boxes may lead to either breaking something or loosing something.
– Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
– Make your reservations for movers two to four weeks before your move day.
– For large appliances be sure to check your owner’s manuals to see if there are special instructions for moving.
– Pack a box of essential items that you will need immediately after the move and make sure it’s the last thing added to the truck.
– Clean out closets, the attic, and the basement as soon as you decide it’s time to move. Throw away things not used for a while or no longer needed. Donate items that are in good condition.
– Make a “survival closet” of things for the last cleanup before you move out – broom, dust cloth, dust pan, mop – especially if you have to leave your apartment in good condition so as to not pay penalty.
– Remember to get snacks for move day.
– Schedule disconnect times for a day after your move day. This way you have everything you need up until your move to the new place.
– The day before your move, defrost the fridge.
– Take time out to say goodbye to friends and neighbors before you get busy on the move day.
– If you are depending on friends and family to help you move, have small thank-you gifts for them to show gratitude. But with that said, also have a back-up plan in case they don’t show up and/or can’t help you move everything.
– Before you move, make a tentative plan on how you want to set up the new place. We printed out the plan of our new apartment well in advance and used different color markers, highlighters and post-it notes to plan the layout of the new apartment. Ofcourse this will change once you get to your new place/have new ideas, but having a tentative game plan, atleast for the big pieces of furniture, helps out a lot since the movers can place them right where you want, in turn saving you the task of moving something heavy.
– Lastly, don’t forget to change your address as and where needed.
While you are busy planning and packing, remember to have fun and make some sweet last memories in your old place before the big move!
Hope this post was helpful! Happy moving 🙂