Dum Arbi is a yummy version of the famous Indian dish where Arbi roots are cooked in a spicy and delicious yogurt gravy. Dum Arbi is a typical Kashmiri recipe and thanks to my dad for finding a recipe online and making it while he was in India with my sister during lockdown last year, mommy and I took his edited recipe, gave it a try and fell in love! Hence sharing with you today!
• 5-6 Medium Sized Arbi/Colocasia Roots
• 1 Medium Sized Onion Chopped
• 2 Tomatoes Puree
• ½ cup Yogurt
• 2 Green Chili slit
• 1-2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
• 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
• 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
• 1 tsp Garam Masala
• ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
• ¼ tsp Mustard seeds
• 2 Big Cardamom
• 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
• Pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
• 2 tbsp Oil for cooking the San I
• Oil for Deep Frying the Arvi
• Chopped Cilantro for garnish
1. Wash Arbi, boil it in a pressure cooker with required water and salt for 2-3 whistle. Ensure it becomes soft.
2. Let it cool down and then peel the Arbi roots and cut it into big cubes.
3. Heat oil in a kadhai for deep frying. Fry Arbi cubes till golden and crispy outside, remove it on paper towel and keep aside for all the excess oil to be released.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in another kadhai. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, big cardamom and pinch of hing. Let things crackle.
5. Add chopped green chili, ginger-garlic paste, chopped onion and sauté it till golden brown.
6. Now to this add tomato puree and again sauté it for two minutes. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and fry or sauté it till oil separated.
7. Add yogurt, and ensure you stir it continuously, mix it well and keep stirring it till it boils. Add ¼ cup water and boil the gravy again while continuing to stir.
8. Now add fried Arbi cubes, salt, kasuri methi and mix it well, cover it and cook it for 5-6 minutes on medium to low flame.
9. Tada! Dum Arbi is ready, garnish it with chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot with Roti or Rice!
10. Don’t forget to enjoy!
Until next time, stay satisfied!!