For someone who loves and makes a lot of nice refreshing drinks, I am surprised that I do not have many posts where I am sharing a recipe of a drink!! Wow! Well, it’s better late than never to start sharing more drink recipes, alcoholic and non-alcoholic!!
Today I bring to you a drink that’s been on repeat recently at the Shukla household – Blueberry Mojitos!!
Now Mojitos taste best when they have Rum in it, but for all my non-alcohol drinkers, the virgin version of this is just as refreshing and today, I am sharing recipes both, so read on.
I am sharing 2 ways of making this, one being if you have the Mojito mix on hand, while the other one being from scratch.
From Scratch – what you will need (this makes 1 drink):
- 1/4 cup blueberries – fresh is best, but if using frozen, thaw them beforehand.
- 1 ounce (roughly about 2 tablespoons) of freshly squeezed lime juice, or the store bought one is fine too!
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Sprig of fresh mint leaves and then some more – roughly about 10
- 1/4 cup Rum – any kind really, but white Rum works best
- 1 ounce (roughly 2 tablespoons) of club soda – can substitute with sparkling water or even sprite.
- Add blueberries, lime or lemon juice, sugar and about 6 mint leaves to a cocktail shaker. Use the end of the wooden spoon or cocktail muddler to crush all these ingredients lightly so the juices get released and mix together.
- Add Rum, stir well and then pour in a glass filled with ice, leaving about an inch of room on the top for topping it off with club soda. Garnish with the leftover mint leaves, few blueberries and a lime/lemon slice.
- If you use Sprite – lessen the sugar you add, since Sodas are already sweet!
Ta-da! There you have it.
If you have the Mojito mix on hand – what you will need (this makes 1 drink):
- 1/4 cup Blueberry
- 3 ounces Mojito Mix (we use the Rose’s brand)
- 1 oz Rum
- Mint sprigs to garnish
- Lemon/Lime juice
Muddle the blueberries as directed above, add to your glass with ice and pour in the above ingredients. Garnish per choice!
You can add more or less of anything really, depending on your taste.
If you want to make this for a party, in a big pitcher, here’s how:
Muddle the blueberries and mint into lime juice and sugar in the pitcher directly (be careful to be gentle as the pitcher is of glass!) and then stir in rum. If you aren’t serving right away, wait to add the ice and soda so that it still has the fizz!
For making the virgin / non-alcoholic version:
Just skip adding in the Rum!!
Until next time, enjoy your drink 🙂